Have you ever felt that no matter how much you lotion up your skin, or how dutifully you care for your skin, neither leaves the skin glowing. The youthfulness and the radiance of the skin is nowhere to be seen. If this is so, there is something in the water that must be blamed. Observational studies by some of the best dermatologists in Mumbai had cautioned that hard water is correlated with the development of Atopic Dermatitis (AD).
What is hard water?
Water that has a high level of dissolved mineral salts of calcium and magnesium, mainly as bicarbonates, chlorides and sulphates is called hard water. Hard water is formed as a result of groundwater percolating through deposits of limestone and chalk, and also small flakes of iron, aluminium and magnesium depending on the area.
How to determine if the water is hard
When you step out of the shower, if the water is hard, your skin will feel squeaky clean instead of silky smooth. Skin will feel dry, itchy, and irritated. When high amounts of calcium is present in the water, soap won’t get dissolve properly, which means that some residue is left on the skin. This leads to sensitive, dry, and acne-prone skin. Apart from this, hard water leaves stains on tubs, faucets and causes building up of limescale. Linens or clothes feels rough and dry upon washing with hard water.
What hard water can do to your skin?
- Premature Aging: Anti-aging specialists in Mumbai have said that hard water contains deposits of iron, magnesium, and calcium, which forms free radicals. These radicals are known to break down collagen, which keeps the skin firm and maintains skin elasticity. This will eventually lead to premature aging as the skin loses volume and hydration and fine lines and wrinkles are most likely to form.
- Psoriasis: Excessive presence of chemical solvents on water causes dryness of skin, thereby clogging the pores. These minerals dry out on the clogged pores of the skin, leading to dry and irritable skin. Top Psoriasis specialists of India have demonstrated that, apart from this, prolonged exposure to hard water causes severe skin blemishes like Eczema and Psoriasis.
- Acne: Acne is a skin condition that causes inflammation and irritation and can lead to dullness and permanent scars. Almost everyone from all ages have faced acne problems. Hard water causes dryness of the skin, depriving it of the natural oils. This will finally lead to frequent acne breakouts. Dr. Soma Sarkar, Acne specialist in Bandra, Mumbai have proposed treatments for mild to severe acne for all ages.
- Spots and blemishes: The chemicals and the mineral salts present in hard water leaves residual elements which sits on the open pores of the skin, which leads to permanent spots and scars. Skin specialists have advised different remedies for this.
How to counteract the effects of hard water
Some of the Best Dermatologists in Mumbai and few skin specialists have compiled some ways to effectively counter the adverse effects of hard water on skin. These are listed below:
- Moisturizing the skin after every wash can help remove traces of minerals and heavy metals. Warm coconut oil and fresh aloe-vera gels are natural moisturizers. A rich body lotion, when applied generously can help.
- Installing water softeners can be a good way to treat hard water. These are replaceable filters and are easily available online or in hardware stores.
- Make it a point to use bottled water to wash face instead of tap water. Using distilled water is another viable option. These options might seem to be expensive, but it’s worth the investment, particularly if the skin is sensitive.
If you are experiencing any kind of skin dryness or irritation, it is always better to evaluate the root cause. Dr. Soma’s holistic approach towards her work and patients had brought her laurels and lot more recognitions. Her work brings subtle results which looks natural and not obvious. Dr. Soma along with her team of specialists strive to sustain the balance and symmetry of the face resulting in an attractive and ravishing look.