Introduction to Cosmelan Peel (Aesthetics)
There are various types of chemical peels available today. These peels are designed according to different skin types. Cosmelan peel is a chemical treatment that has multiple ingredients.
Benefits Of Cosmelan Peel:-
- Cosmelan peel is mainly designed to decrease areas of skin discoloration and hyperpigmentation. It reduces excess melanin production by impeding explicit enzymes.
- It provides a fair complexion.
- It can be used to enhance the look of facial skin, abdomen, and legs.
- This peel can help in reducing acne scars, dull skin, dry skin, and blemishes.
- Chloasma can be decreased with this peel.
- It also maintains the skin’s oil production that helps to improve acne and blackheads.
What Are The Steps Involved?
Cosmelan peel is one of the leading depigmentation methods. This process has two steps:-
- In the first step, a thick mud mask is applied to the affected area. It contains Kojic acid, Phytic acid, Ascorbic acid, and Titanium Dioxide. The mask must be kept on the face for 6 to 10 hours. The total time of application varies as per the skin type and pigmentation conditions. Then after, wash with the cleanser.
- In the second step, you need to apply topical anti-spot cream. This cream will help to sustain the results obtained with the cosmelan peel. It also protects the area of pigmentation. The cream must be used up to one year with the cosmelan peel.
How Does The Peel Work?
Cosmelan peel works to emend hyperpigmentation while controlling the excessive production of melanin in the melanocytes. It hinders tyrosinase activation within the melanosome. It also reduces the oxidation stress and creation of excess melanin. This peel works as a preventive and corrective mechanism. It provides long-lasting and instant results. It is best for all skin types. It delivers results in one or two weeks.
Where Can It Be Used?
Cosmelan peel is mainly used on the face. It can also be used on other parts of the body like abdomen, back and legs. It can be used as a post-peel home care regiment.
If you are using cosmelan peel then glycolic peels and other lighting agents will not be used. Some pinkness can be anticipated on the skin after using the peel. You should not have any pain. The patches of excess melanin will reduce after two weeks of treatment. The results will enhance with time. You need to apply sunscreen daily.
The effect of the result depends on your skin type. Some factors that affect the longevity of cosmelan treatment are as follows:-
- Hormonal imbalances
- Exposure to sun (UV radiation)
- Use of the cosmelan cream
You need to visit the dermatologist 15 days after starting the treatment. There is follow up treatment after one month.